Students are required to register throughout their graduate careers. The only exceptions are those semesters during which they officially withdraw from the University or are on Filing Fee status. Students can satisfy the continuous registration requirement by enrolling for fall and spring semesters; registration during the spring semester maintains graduate status until the beginning of fall semester. Students are responsible for paying fees by August 15 for the fall semester and January 15 for the spring semester. Although students should be registered by the first day of instruction, they must be registered for a minimum of 12 units no later than the third week of classes.
Students are officially registered for the semester once they:
- have enrolled in at least one course;
- have paid either a first installment or full fees;
- have no blocks on their registration.
Categories of students who must register.
The University requires registration for the following:
- all graduate students who receive certain University-sponsored financial assistance, such as fellowships;
- all Graduate Student Instructors (GSI's), and Graduate Student Researchers (GSR's),
- all students who sit for an oral or written exam required for the degree
- all students who file theses or dissertations or who take a final examination required for the degree, unless they are on Filing Fee status.