Graduate Student Instructor (GSI)
And other Academic Student Employment (ASE)
ASE (GSI, Reader, and Tutor) applications for the fall 2021 semester are now CLOSED. We will begin hiring for the spring semester starting in October.
GSI positions are open to Physics graduate students, outside graduate students returning to be a P-GSI, and non-Physics graduate students teaching Physics at Cal for the first time.
Important things to keep in mind when completing the GSI Application:
- The standard Physics GSI appointment is set at 50% FTE, equivalent to 20 hours per week. We do not appoint students into 25% standalone GSI positions. In rare circumstances, and by approval of the Physics Head Graduate Advisor, a student may be considered for an additional 25% appointment ONLY if the student already holds a second appointment at 25% or 50%.
- Physics GSI appointments are eligible for partial fee remission and wages are in line with the current rates for GSI pay. Visit Berkeley Labor Relations to see salary info for GSI Step Levels.
- Applicants who do not speak English as a native language must demonstrate oral English proficiency to be eligible to work as a GSI. Please see important deadlines for the Language Proficiency Program and the English oral proficiency test (OPT).
- New GSIs are required to fulfill the following requirements:
- attend the Teaching Conference for First-Time GSIs,
- complete the GSI Professional Standards and Ethics Online Course,
- and enroll in and complete a 300-level semester-long pedagogical seminar.
- Learn more about GSI responsibilities and requirements via the Appointments Handbook.
Reader, Tutor, and UGSI opportunities will be available for the spring semester.
Important things to keep in mind when completing the ASE application:
- Undergraduate applicants must have a 3.0 overall GPA or better and A- or better in the Physics courses for which you want to be a Reader, Tutor, or UGSI. Additionally, UGSI applicants must have taken and received an A- or better in Physics 111A and Physics 137A. Learn more about eligibility via the Appointments Handbook.
- UGSIs may be appointed by exception only. Exceptions are approved by the Campus only if a department is not able to recruit any qualified graduate students (including graduate students in other departments) to fill an essential GSI position.
- Eligibility requirements mentioned in the above section—Fall GSI Application—for GSIs also apply to UGSIs, including language proficiency and first-time GSI requirements.
- View Berkeley Labor Relations to see current rates for Reader, Tutor, and UGSI pay.
- Undergraduate Readers and Tutors are not eligible for fee remissions. UGSIs are eligible for partial fee remissions.
- Hiring for Readers, Tutors, and UGSI positions will depend on course enrollment and reflect the need for additional class support. We cannot guarantee appointments for these positions.
Important note: UC Berkeley expects academics with appointments (e.g. GSIs, Readers, Tutors, etc.) to arrive in the United States with valid work authorization prior to the start of the appointment. If an individual is not able to arrive by their start date, despite their best efforts to do so, the Berkeley Academic Personnel Office will evaluate what to do on a case-by-case basis.
For any questions, please contact Christian Natividad (firstname.lastname@example.org).