The Berkeley Physics International Education (BPIE) Program
The Berkeley Physics International Education (BPIE) Program partners with universities around the world to provide undergraduate international students an opportunity to study abroad at UC Berkeley for one semester or one year.
Through our University partnerships, selected students have the incredible opportunity to engage in academic and research settings to enhance their educational experience. Fall 2021 registration is now open.
BPIE offers unique and exclusive opportunities for physics students:
- Study physics with some of the world’s brightest students and most distinguished faculty
- Course offerings include quantum mechanics, atomic physics, solid state physics, biophysics, string theory, cosmology, thermal and statistical physics, data science and more at the #1 public university in the US
- Complete UC Berkeley courses that will count toward credit at students' home universities
- Major Program designated advising with professional advisors in the UC Berkeley Physics Department
- Exclusive faculty-BPIE student lunches which allow visiting students an opportunity to meet and hear from our faculty about their academic experience and research while enjoying lunch in a small and informal setting
- Participate in research lab tours
- Learn about research at our Annual Undergraduate and Graduate Poster Sessions (Spring Semester)
- Workshops on Applying to Graduate School as International Students
- Career Exploration Panels
- Hiking trips near campus
- Movie outings
- Opportunity to study in our incredible campus libraries
- Access to the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) and over 100 student groups on campus
- Unique opportunity to have the UC Berkeley student experience!
- Tours to the Lawrence Hall of Science
- Scenic tours to the Pacific coastline
- Field trips to near-by cities including San Francisco, Napa, Half Moon Bay, Monterey
CLICK HERE for more details about the BPIE program.
Students from current partnerships at ShanghaiTech University, University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Xi'an Jiaotong University, please email: Claudia Trujillo.
Other prospective students: Please apply here.
The deadline for Fall 2021 applications is June 1st, 2021.
Thank you for your interest.
Our advisers can help you or your students plan for success in this program.
Program cost is $21,900 for one semester; $43,800 for a full year.
$10,500 minimum needed for estimated housing expenses. Other living and miscellaneous expenses (food, textbooks, travel, etc.) not included
$880 estimated for health insurance
$100 international student fee
*Based on current rates thru July 2022
Expected course workload
12 UC Berkeley semester units in one term in the Physics Department. This number of units is also needed for visa requirements.
For additional program information and requirements, please contact:
Director of Student Services and Director of BPIE Program
BPIE Program Advisor and Coordinator
"Physics is an international enterprise built on partnerships among nations and their citizens. Particle physicists from around the globe come to CERN in Geneva to investigate the high-energy frontier. Japan has led the world in the construction of massive neutrino detectors while China created an underground laboratory of unprecedented depth. The radiation left over from the Big Bang is detected by telescopes mounted in the Chilean desert. International students bring to my classroom the face and flavor of modern physics research - the diversity and collective talent we need to move the field forward."
- Professor Wick Haxton, Physics Department, UC Berkeley
NEW! The BPIE Summer Laboratory Program: July 25-August 13
The summer 2021 session will be a single intensive three-week program focusing on Mechanics labs. Click here to find out more.
Additional partner programs with the UC Berkeley Physics Department
Participation in these programs is limited to enrollment in physics courses (pending availability). Space may be limited. They do not include any of the exclusive BPIE Program features.
Berkeley International Study Program (BISP)
Berkeley Global Access (BGA)