Access to Physics Space
Access Controller: Anthony Vitan 158 Le Conte Hall 510-642-2242
Back up Access Controller: Carlos Bustamante 151 Le Conte Hall 510-643-0802 (handles day to day transactions)
For General questions on access please email Physics Support Services.
Access Control Hours: 9am-12pm Monday-Friday in 151 Le Conte
**COVID UPDATE**All access forms, screen shots and applicable documents must be emailed to email@example.com At this time there are no in person visits. In the event a metal key needs to be issued you will be contacted to pick up keys. At this time only only lab researchers, limited instructors and designated essential staff are being provided access to Physics spaces. All persons planning to work on campus must complete the EHS 207 Covid Safety training through the UC Learning Center, read the both the Birge and Le Conte Hall physical distancing circulation plans, read the Covid 19 building SOP and complete the CV19 checklist and sign it. For those working in Campbell Hall please also read their SOP and building circulation plan. Your PI must add you to their Covid 19 Research Resumption Lab Roster. This is in addition to the EH&S Lab Roster Tool. Also for researchers: If you take screen shot of your name on the EH&S Lab Roster tool it shows that you have completed the Work Place Safety Training (WSP) and Covid 207 Training and you do not need to provide proof of the WSP and Covid Training. When submitting your documents via email please attach all applicable paperwork and a link to your PI's personnel data sheet showing you have been entered. All standard EHS trainings, forms and safety documentation below must be completed along with the checklist emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org After all is complete we will advise the VCR office that you are to be added to the "essential researcher" list. All new requests may take up to 3 weeks before access is given.
All persons requesting access to Physics spaces ARE REQUIRED to have a Cal ID card. No exceptions.
All persons requesting access to space in Physics must complete the following:
- Access Request Form must be signed by PI or Manager.
- New Covid Requirements listed in "Covid Update" above.
- BEP (Building Emergency Plan) quiz by reading the Building Emergency Plans for the applicable building you are requesting access for Birge, Le Conte or Campbell.
- EHS WPS (Work Place Safety Program) through the UC Learning Center (LINK to training). This is also known as EHS 502 and formerly IIPP (Illness and Injury Prevention Program). It can also be searched through the UC Learning Center. Bring a screen shot of the completed training. If you have issues completing this training please email EHS for help (email@example.com). This site and training are administered by EH&S and not Physics. This document is the deparment supplement to the EHS Work Place Safety Program.
- Staff, Faculty, Postdocs and Physics' paid research staff must complete "Computer Health Matters" online ergonomics training. You can access the training through the UC Learning Center or through this link. If you are a new person to the campus you may not be able to access the Computer Health Matters training right away. There may be a lag time between your campus enrollment and access to this system for up to one month. If you cannot access the system please mention this when you turn in access paperwork and try again in a month to access the system. If it still doesn't work please email ehstrain at berkeley.edu for help.
- IF you are an instructor or GSI working in a teaching lab you must also complete the EHS101 Lab Safety Fundamentals Training. (link is below under Lab and Office Access header)
To report problems with keys, locks or security issues please email Physics Facility Services.
Building Entry Only Access
(New Campbell, Birge, Le Conte and Campbell to Le Conte Bridge Access)
Building Access is only permitted for authorized persons with a current UC ID card. Please complete the access request form.
For Astronomy students, faculty and staff wanting access to the bridge from Campbell to Le Conte requesters must obtain a faculty signature from a Physics PI or Faculty who reside on the 3rd or 4th floor of Old Le Conte. Signature is required on the access request form. Requesters must also complete the Physics BEP/IIPP quiz after having their access form signed by a Physics faculty and return all the completed forms to the 151 Service Desk business hours.
*Cards will take 5-15 days to process before activation is live.
Lab and Office Access
(Metal Key, Keycard and Numerical Codes for Birge, New Campbell and LeConte Hall Interior Doors)
Undergrads, grads, postdocs, instructors and visitors are required to pay a deposit of $20.00 per metal key. The deposit may be refunded when metal key is returned during Access Controller business hours. If a metal key is not in stock we must order the metal key. Key orders take 2-3 weeks to process with campus services.
Complete the access request form:
For Research or lab access the following below must be completed in addition to access request form and requirements above in the 1st paragraph. GSI's needing access to teaching labs are only required to take the EHS Lab Safety Fundamentals 101 online training. They do not need to complete the Lab Roster Tool or Laboratory Hazard Assessment Tool.
- EHS Lab Safety Fundamentals 101. This online training is available through the UC Learning Center. (screen shot or email print out when completed)
- Listed on Lab’s EHS Lab Roster via EHS Lab Roster Tool (screen shot when completed)
- Certified in Lab’s Laboratory Hazard Assessment Tool via EHS. (Print PPE Voucher as proof of completion)
For Kavli space access in Campbell Hall please fill out required forms and have them signed by Negest Williams .
For BCCP space access in Campbell Hall please fill out required forms and have them signed by Melissa Barclay.
Physics Reading Room (175 Le Conte)
Access to the Physics Reading Room must be authorized by Claudia Trujillo in 376 Le Conte or Kathleen Cooney in 374 Le Conte. Please visit them if you desire access to this space.
Liquid Nitrogen Access
LN2 Dispenser SOP - 2 Persons are required to transnport dewars that are on casters. Persons transporting dewars by themselves on casters alone risk tipping the dewar over and causing an accident.
Complete EH&S Cryogens Safety (EHS 109 Cryogen Safety). This online training is available through the UC Learning Center. You must complete this training, print the completion certificate and bring it with your completed access request form.
After your access is approved remember to always bring your Cal ID card when accessing the Liquid Nitrogen dispenser after hours. The Loading Dock door locks at 4pm M-F and is locked on holidays and weekends. Access is through the door is only available via Cal ID card.
If your lab needs a dewar elevator sign you can print one from this document.
**special note** Undergrads (volunteer or intern) are not given LN2 dispenser access. They are required to be escorted by another authorized user (grad, post doc, PI, ect. who have LN2 access).
Compressed Gas Cylinder Services
Compressed cylinder gases are available to Physics research labs to check out from the receiving located in Room 151 Le Conte.
Stocked cylinder gases are argon, helium, nitrogen and oxygen. For safe handling of gas cylinders while transporting and using in the lab please use dedicated cylinder carts. Carts for check out are also available at the 151 Service Desk. Any cylinders returned to Receiving area must have the cap in place and a tag indicating if the cylinder is empty or partially empty. For safe handling of compressed gas cylinders please read the following safety sheet from UC EHS.
If you want to get rid of a Praxair cylinder, bring it to the “Praxair Empty” rack outside of Le Conte 151. We will take care of return to Praxair.
If you want to get rid of a Non-Praxair cylinder purchased through campus (as opposed to LBNL), contact the vendor to arrange for pick up. Label your cylinder with your name and contact info, lab name, and scheduled pick up date and leave it in the “LBNL and Non-Praxair Empty” rack outside of 151 Le Conte and email us that you have done so: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to get rid of an LBNL-purchased cylinder, contact your LBNL purchasing contact to have the cylinder picked up either at your lab or from the “LBNL and Non-Praxair Empty” rack outside of 151 Le Conte. LBNL requires that LBNL-owned or LBNL-purchased cylinders be labeled with an LBNL Transportation Work Order. Please email us that you have left a cylinder for pick up: email@example.com
Please visit the Front Desk in Room 151 Le Conte for access to the Xerox multi-purpose copier.
Student Shop Access
Please see Jess Lopez in student shop (Room 102 Old Le Conte) for access.